Double Journal Entry # 3
Naomi Baron, a professor of linguistics at American University and author of “Always On: Language in an Online and Mobile World,” shares Crystal’s view. She predicts that the number of “textisms” will stop growing as people continue to develop more proficiency in using handheld devices and as the devices continue to grow more sophisticated than simple telephone touch pads. She adds that part of the appeal of texting shorthands is their novelty, and that that will fade.
I couldn't agree more. Recently I upgraded to a smart phone (the iPhone 4) and have found that I use little to no "text talk" and when I do it almost feels forced. I am a horrible speller and have always had to take extra care when I write anything. I now notice in texts and on facebook many of my contacts are becoming more aware of their own skills, and if they don't take notice some one always points out their mistake and corrects it. Maybe I don't feel as dependent on technology as many but I do see this component as a positive for myself and others as well. It makes us more aware of our writing skills both spelling and grammar and I think that is something that had been overlooked once we left our classrooms behind.
No comments:
Post a Comment