Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Double Journal Entry 4


1. I learned that students who speak with these dialects often see themselves in a negative view. That it adversely effects their writing and learning and that if teachers can or already do understand the dialect and move back and forth between the dialect and proper English students have a better overall understanding.

2. They build bridges of meaningfulness by having the students listen to themselves and family members to hear the different ways they all use the dialects.
    They teach students to know and praise their own cultural heritages by not telling them their dialect is wrong but by showing them how to understand their dialect in relation to proper English.

3. When I was younger we had to interview a family member about what life was like when they were young.  I taped it and then wrote it exactly as they said it using quotation marks.  Of course it contained many instances of improper English and "hillbilly" talk.  My teacher gave me a poor grade because of it saying I didn't correct my grammar.  But I felt it was a direct quote and that how my grandfather said things was as important as what he said.

I chose this paper because of the first paragraph :  
 "I observed a high school English class for a few hours each week and was surprised that in a class of twenty-two English speaking students, two students also spoke Russian, three spoke Spanish, some spoke in a heavy Southern dialect, and some spoke in an African-American 
dialect. This led me to question how I could successfully teach Standard English to such a linguistically diverse class. It was through Dr. Marlow’s teaching that I began to view language differences not in terms of right or wrong, but just in terms of difference."


Epstein, P., & Herring-Harris, L. (2011, Sept. 15).Honoring dialect and increasing student performance in standard english. Retrieved from http://www.nwp.org/cs/public/print/resource/3655



Marlow, D., & Rowland, J. (2010). Dialect awareness education:the importance of watching our words. Informally published manuscript, Upstate Undergraduate Research Journal, University of South Carolina, Retrieved from http://www.uscupstate.edu/uploadedFiles/Academics/Undergraduate_Research/Reseach_Journal/2010_001_ARTICLE_ROWLAND_MARLOW.pdf

1 comment:

  1. Excellent connections to culturally responsive teaching! Really good non-example of culturally responsive teaching from your own experience. Additional the teacher missed an opportunity to teach student about writing dialogue! Excellent resource that connects to this reading!

    ReplyDelete